Death toll from Mohmand marble mine incident rises to 19

40

MOHMAND: The death toll from the tragic incident of a rockslide in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Mohmand district reached 19 after seven more bodies were retrieved from under the rubble, Geo News reported on Tuesday quoting rescue and police officials.

According to the TV report, seven bodies of the labourers working at the marble mine in KP’s remote area have so far been pulled out during the rescue operation which restarted earlier today.

District Police Officer Mohmand Tariq Habib said that 15-20 people are feared trapped under the debris, adding that rescue operation has been started after it was stopped due to darkness at around 02am.

Heavy machinery and manpower were dispatched to the area for assistance in the rescue operation.

On Monday, six mines at the Ziarat Ghar mountain had collapsed killing 12 miners and injuring several others.

Deputy Commissioner Iftikhar Alam had said that he feared the number of casualties from the mine collapse would rise. The Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) had been asked to provide heavy machinery for rescue operations.

Fawad calls for implementation of labour laws

Minister for Science and Technology Fawad Chaudhry pointed out that the condition for the labourers was very bad.The minister urged the provincial government to implement labour laws in the province and hoped that KP government will stand with the families of the deceased labourers.